Past Parish Council Reports for Barnack, Bainton and Ufford

Parish Council Reports May 2017


met on the 11th April 2017.
To read the full minutes, please visit, view them on the village noticeboards or contact the Clerk at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  Items discussed included:
15/00307/ENFOTH Compass Barn – to note latest status of skateboard ramp enforcement notice appeal.  Awaiting decision.
17/00293/LBC White Hart - Proposed formation of opening to link orangery restaurant and barn restaurant. Permitted.
17/00564/FUL Sherwood, Marholm Road – Demolition of existing bungalow with a new two storey dwelling.
17/00056/HHFUL The Drift, Walcot Road – First floor extension to create habitable space, rear extension and side porch extension to dwelling.
15/01840/OUT Land to the west of Uffington Road, Barnack – Gladman Appeal Update.  Gladman won the Appeal against PCC to build up to 80 houses in Barnack.   There is a concern that this may set a precedent for piecemeal developments in rural villages.  Whilst Peterborough has no confirmed figure for current land supply, villages could potentially be threatened if there is an opportunity for a site to become available.

Village Maintenance
Playing Field
The dog waste bin will be moved to east boundary near the entrance to the playing field. UPC will remind Amey to repair the basketball hoop.

Gigaclear Reinstatement Update
UPC visited affected properties and have identified new sites needing work.  A finalised list will be submitted to Gigaclear.

Road Signs and Footpaths
PCC has confirmed the correct sign for Newport Way is on order and drainage issues on Newport Way are being looked into.  Ward Councillor David Over has organised a two-day clean-up of the villages with road and path sweeping taking place shortly.

Annual Meeting
Gillian Beasley has confirmed that she is available to present at the Annual Meeting. Drinks and nibbles will be served from 6.30pm with the meeting starting at 7pm.  The Annual Parish Meeting will follow on afterwards.  Invitations will go out to all residents.

Village Matters
Speed Limits
Streetlights will be marked on a map to record the distances between them using an online mapping tool.  This will inform UPC whether speed repeater signs could be placed in the village.

Phone Box
UPC would like to retain the phone box and if possible install a defibrillator.  Options will be explored.

A47 Corridor Improvement Programme 
Highways England are consulting on proposals to improve the A47 between Wansford and Sutton to dual carriageway standard.  The consultation can be viewed online at There are concerns about how residents will be able to access the A47 from Sutton Heath Road.

Police and Crime 
Crimes and incidents of note reported locally were burglary of a barn in Barnack, theft from motor vehicles in Helpston and Bainton and fraud in Ufford of ID theft and bank account opened.
The next meeting is the Annual Village Meeting on Tuesday 9th May with refreshments being served from 6.30pm for a 7pm start. 
All residents are invited to attend.


The council last met on 4th April, signing off the accounts for 2016/17 ready for the statutory audit, and noting that a casual vacancy for councillor still remains, with no applications yet received.
The Head of Peterborough Highways Services and the Senior Highways Inspector attended to respond to complaints about the recent closure of Barnack and Helpston Roads.  They apologised to residents about poor notification and signage and answered questions about the forthcoming closure for surface dressing.  Weather allowing, this should be complete by the time this article is published.
Many of the village maintenance items had now been addressed by the City Council, with others in progress.  The narrow section of Tallington Road remained of particular concern and all road users are asked to take care at this point.  A group of Bainton residents was thanked for their re-seeding of verges damaged by Gigaclear works.  It was agreed that the Parish Council would reimburse the same residents for reinstating spring bulbs later this year.  A new contractor has been taken on to cut grass verges around the parish.
On planning, it was noted that there would be a consultation later in the year about the effect on traffic of housing developments proposed in the Local Plan.
A traveller’s caravan has appeared on High Field Road south of Ashton and has been reported to the City Council, but has caused no problems to date.  After the situation escalated last year however, parish councillors and several Ashton residents are keeping a close eye on things.  Anti-fly-tipping notices have been put up in the area.  It was also noted that anti-social activities are common along this lane and, as the area’s PCSOs were in attendance, they were asked to include the road in their regular patrols.
The annual Villages Meeting will be held 7.00pm at Bainton Reading Room on Tuesday 2nd May, with refreshments from 6.30pm.  All residents are warmly invited.  The Parish Council AGM will follow, at approximately 8.00pm.
Minutes of each meeting and councillor details can be found on village notice boards and the village website  The Clerk welcomes all enquiries and applications for the council vacancy, at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .


met ON 10thAPRIL 2017.
To read the full Minutes, please visit, view them on the village noticeboards or contact the Clerk via This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  Items discussed included:

Outstanding Items
Bus shelters – PCC confirmed installation will be before 31st March 2018, but have no set date.  Further discussions will decide if a shelter will go near The Limes (heading to Stamford), or outside the Cemetery (heading to Peterborough).  BPC will also seek advice from Conservation Officer Jim Daley.
School Field – There is an increase in noise from the school grounds during the evenings, even when it is dark.  BPC have agreed to write to the Governors to try and get the signs pushed through PCC as a priority.
Post Box and Telephone Box - Royal Mail have confirmed they cannot put a box in the preferred location due to the presence of cables underground.  PCC Conservation Officer Jim Daley suggested a post-mounted box in place of the bin outside the church gates.  BPC agreed this would be a suitable location.  Repairs have been requested to the Pilsgate Phone Box.
Footpaths, Verges & Road Signs - Ward Councillor David Over organised a two-day clean-up of the Ward with  road and path sweeping.  A resident raised concern over the condition of the verges in Pudding Bag Lane.  The damage is due to wet weather and residents parking their cars on the verge.  BPC will seek advice from the PCC Conservation team.

17/00215/OUT, 34 Uffington Road – New three bed detached house in garden. Awaiting decision.
17/00431/CLP, Land to the west of Uffington Road – Installation of a Caravan Ancillary. BPC will submit an objection to the proposal.
16/02390/WCPP, Pasque Lodge - Variation of Condition 7 (approved plans – garage) of planning permission. Permitted.
17/00625/TRE, 21 Bishops Walk – Lime Tree TPO tree works. Awaiting decision.
17/00449/HHFUL, 7 Allerton Close – Construction of single storey front extension, two storey side and rear and single story rear extensions.  BPC noted that the extension may encroach on the neighbour to the west.
15/01840/OUT, Land to west of Uffington Road - Gladman Appeal Update. BPC will work closely with PCC and the planners to try and get the best result for the village.  The development will raise funds for the village through the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).  Residents will be kept informed of developments as soon as BPC hear from the planners.

Other Items
Lorry Activity – A log of lorry activity on Uffington Road provided by a resident has been forwarded to the local rural Police contact. 
Traffic Calming – Members of the working group recently met with PCC Highways to seek approval for traffic calming plans, and also to improve signs and refresh road markings around the village.  A Traffic Calming meeting will be held in May to finalise plans.
Barnack Fun Run & Litter Pick - Saturday 29th April is a suggested date for the village litter pick.  BPC are waiting on confirmation from PCC for the use of litter pickers, high viz vests and waste bags. 
Cricket Grounds - A series of incidents on the cricket grounds have been happening over the last few weeks with youths driving to Barnack, parking at the end of Canon Drive and playing football on the ground.  There has been late-night noise, drinking and littering.  The Police were notified and met with neighbours last week to discuss the issues and will monitor the situation.  The Pavilion Management Committee have switched off the PIR lights to discourage night-time antics.  If residents have on-going concerns please contact the Police via 101 and inform the Parish Council. 
Bulk Waste Collection - Pending confirmation from Amey for a date in May.   
A47 Corridor Improvement Programme - BPC will write to Highways England to clarify their proposals as the plans are unclear.
John Clare Country Walks Leaflet - Frieda Gosling has produced a leaflet entitled ‘John Clare Country - Heath, Hills and Holes’ which is one in a series of circular walks issued by Parishes in Barnack Ward.  Copies of the leaflet will be placed in the church for residents to help themselves to. 
Rural Crime Update -  Local crimes include theft from vehicles, burglary from a barn in Station Road and fraud (ID theft).

All local organisations and residents are invited to attend the next meeting which will be the Annual Village Meeting on Monday 8th May in the Village Hall. 
Refreshments will be served from 6.30pm, with the meeting commencing at 7.00pm.  This will be followed by the Annual Parish Meeting.  All local organisations and residents are invited to attend.